Details of all the information you need to know about Bank Verification Number BVN and how to check your Nigerian BVN using your mobile phone across the MTN, Airtel, GLO, and 9mobile network providers.
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) implemented the Bank Verification Number (BVN) in 2015. Each bank in Nigeria has been given a unique 11-digit number it uses to register new account holders to CBN’s Biometric Identification System. Use a mobile code to check BVN in Nigeria from this article.
What is A BVN? BVN means Bank Verification Number. It is a unique set of 11 digits that is linked to all your bank accounts, and consequentially, all your bank transactions.
Do you know you don’t have to memorize your BVN, you can check the number whenever you need it with your phone? Have you ever asked yourself, how to check your BVN? Then you will want to read this article.
Currently, most account registrations in Nigeria require personal BVN; many people have been unable to register on some platforms due to the inability to get their BVN. Some have found it difficult to create different accounts they need due to the inability to obtain their BVN number because of queues in different Nigerian banks.
Table of Contents
How To Get A BVN
Registering for your BVN is a pretty simple and straightforward process. Follow the steps below to successfully register:
- Visit your bank with a valid ID card (voter’s card, driver’s license, national ID) and request a BVN enrollment form
- Fill out the form and capture your biometrics; fingerprints and photograph. The bank does your Biometric capturing.
- On completion of biometrics, they would give you a ticket ID
- You should receive your BVN number a few days or less after registration
Many banks today now offer a completely digital process, where you can download the form online. After getting your BVN, the next step is to link it to all your other bank accounts. Simply visit your bank, where they would give you a form to complete the process.
Check your BVN on MTN, Glo, Airtel, and 9mobile
There is no need to worry if you lost or forgot your BVN; below is a step-by-step guide on retrieving or accessing your BVN whenever you wish.
To check or access your BVN on MTN, 9mobile, Airtel and Glo, follow the instructions below:
- On your Mobile phone and sim card used in BVN enrollment, dial *565*0#.
- Wait until your number is displayed on the screen of your device.
- Then copy the BVN and save it in a safe place.
You will be charged at least N20 to access or check your Bank Verification Number.
What are the benefits of BVN?
The Bank Verification Number has the following benefits:
- A BVN identifies all bank accounts you have opened in Nigeria.
- BVN reduces cyber fraud.
- It tracks and validates your financial transactions across electronic platforms in Nigeria.
- Financial institutions use BVNs to track their customers’ loan allocations and repayments.
- The BVN number and the system reduce queues in bank halls.
- BVN standardizes and improves the efficiency of banking operations.
Now that you know how to use a mobile USSD code to check BVN in Nigeria, help someone retrieve the number using MTN, Etisalat, Airtel, or Glo network. These networks offer the service 24/7. It is not free of charge but affordable.
Do I Need My BVN To Take A Loan?
The short answer to this is, yes. You do. Getting a loan with your BVN is not complicated. All Fintech platforms now require your BVN to give you a loan.
This is because they can easily track defaulters down and make a case to get back their money. Unlike commercial or microfinance banks, these fintech companies do not require you to complete loan forms or tender collateral. Rather, it’s simply a process of downloading their app, registering, and getting an instant loan.
This is one of the advantages of having a BVN. It provides you access to quick loans that you might otherwise not get.Share This Post: If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it using the buttons below!