The new series comes with the latest Snapdragon 888+ chipset with a 3.0 GHz prime core (Cortex-X1), up from 2.84 GHz on the original chip. The AI Engine got a 20% boost and now delivers 32 TOPS (up from 26 TOPS). The chipset is not the only upgrade on the new models, but we’ll get to that. First, let’s meet the two newcomers.
Asus ROG Phone 5s Pro
While we have no Ultimate version this time around, the Pro was upgraded to 18 GB of RAM (LPDDR5) and 512 GB of storage (UFS 3.1), which were the main draws of the Ultimate model in the first place. The new Pro model gets to keep the color PMOLED display on the back too (the Ultimate had a monochrome display).
Just like the previous variants, there’s no display on the back of the vanilla model, just an RGB-backlit Republic of Gamers logo. Also, the Pro model has two touch sensors on the back (which can be used as game controls).
The display remains a 6.78” Super AMOLED panel with 1080p+resolution and 144 Hz refresh rate (1 ms response time). The panel is HDR10+ certified, covers nearly 151% of sRGB and 111% of DCI-P3. It is bright too with a typical brightness of 8000 nits at APL100 (i.e. the entire display is showing white).
The phone is fueled by a 6,000 mAh battery with 65W wired fast charging, a side connector with USB 3.1 Gen2 speeds, DisplayPort 1.4 and fast charging support too. There’s also a 3.5 mm headphone jack on the bottom, but that gets blocked when holding the phone horizontally, so you can use the headphone jack on the AeroActive Cooler 5 (which also adds two extra buttons in addition to the cooling fan).
Only the Asus ROG Phone 5s Pro comes bundled with the Cooler, the vanilla 5s only comes with a 65W charger and an Aero case. The Cooler normally sells for $70.
Speaking of accessories, the 5s models are compatible with all the extras for the 5-series and support some of the accessories for the older ROG Phone 3. This includes the Kunai 3 Gamepad, but not the TwinView Dock 3.
Asus ROG Phone 5s Pro Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1800 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 48, 66, 71
- 5G bands: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (7CA) Cat20 1400/150 Mbps, 5G 4 Gbps DL
- Announced: Exp. release 2021 Q4
- Status: Coming soon
- Dimensions: 172.8 x 77.3 x 9.9 mm (6.80 x 3.04 x 0.39 in)
- Weight: 238 g (8.40 oz)
- Colors: Matte White
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass back (Gorilla Glass 3), aluminum frame
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Pressure sensitive zones (Gaming triggers)
- Touch sensor; ROG Vision monochrome PMOLED display (on the back)
- Type: AMOLED, 1B colors, 144Hz, HDR10+, 800 nits (typ), 1200 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.78 inches, 109.5 cm2 (~82.0% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2448 pixels (~395 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus
- Android 11, ROG UI
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888+ 5G (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.99 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Storage: 512GB 18GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.73″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 13 MP, f/2.4, 11mm, 125˚ (ultrawide)
- 5 MP, f/2.0, (macro)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected]/60/120/240fps, [email protected]; gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 24 MP, f/2.5, 27mm (wide), 0.9µm
- Features: Panorama, HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with DTS:X stereo speakers (2 dedicated amplifiers)
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, GNSS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.1 (side), USB Type-C 2.0 (bottom), accessory connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 6000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 65W, 70% in 30 min, 100% in 52 min (advertised)
- Reverse charging 10W
- Power Delivery 3.0
- Quick Charge 5
Asus ROG Phone 5s Pro Price and Availability
The ROG Phone 5s Pro comes only in Phantom Black colour priced at NT$ 37,990 (US$ 1,365 ) for the 18GB + 512GB version and also comes with AeroActive Cooler 5 in the box. It is available to order in Taiwan and will ship starting from August 24th.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU