Hotmail has to be one of the oldest and best-known free email services in the world. Even though it shifted from Hotmail to Outlook, many still know it and refer to it as Hotmail. If you just bought a new handset or want to access Hotmail on your mobile phone, here is how you do it.
You have a couple of options when setting up Hotmail. You can access it via your browser using the hotmail.com website, the Outlook app, or even the Gmail app. This article will teach you how to add Hotmail to your phone.
To set any of these up, you will need to know your email address and password.
Table of Contents
How to Set Up Hotmail on An Android Phone
Android users can set up their Hotmail using the Outlook app (found in the Google Play Store) or a web browser.
Install the Outlook App
If you prefer the app, follow these steps to set up Hotmail on your Android phone:
- Install the Outlook app on your Android phone. Then, open it.
- Tap on the Outlook icon in the upper left corner.
- Tap the Settings cog at the bottom of the pop-out menu.
- Tap Add Account under the Mail accounts heading.
- Tap Add an email account.
- On this page, the Outlook app will detect any compatible email accounts you already have on your phone. You can tap Continue if you want to add that email account, or tap Skip this account to add a Hotmail account.
- Add your Hotmail email address and tap Continue. Then, type your Hotmail password.
Add Hotmail to the Gmail App
Most Android devices come with the Gmail app pre-installed. If you prefer to see your Hotmail with your Gmail, you can follow these steps:
- Open Gmail and tap on the profile icon in the upper right-hand corner. Then, tap Add another account.
- Select Outlook, Hotmail, and Live.
- Enter your Hotmail address and password. Then, tap Next.
- Follow the prompts and allow Gmail to access your Hotmail account information.
- Now, you can tap the profile icon in the upper right-hand corner to toggle between accounts.
How to Add Hotmail to your iPhone
Apple, of course, has its own email infrastructure but will also play nicely with Hotmail should you need it to. Like Android, you can access Hotmail through your mobile phone using the Outlook app or Hotmail using the built-in Mail app.
How to Add Hotmail Using the Outlook App
If you want your Hotmail separate from your iPhone’s native email app, you can install the Outlook app. Here’s how:
- Install the Outlook app for iOS.
- If an account appears, tap Add Account to add it. If you don’t want to add it, tap Skip.
- Enter your Hotmail email. Then, tap Next.
- Enter your password and tap Sign in.
- If you’d like to add another account, tap Add. If not, tap Maybe later.
How to Add Hotmail to iOS Mail App
If you prefer to keep all of your email messages together, you can add your Hotmail account to your native iOS mail app. Here’s how:
- Open the Settings on your iPhone and tap Mail.
- Tap on Accounts.
- Tap Add account.
- Select Outlook.com from the list.
- Enter your Hotmail email address. Then, tap Next.
- Enter your password and tap Sign in.
Now, when you open the iOS Mail app, your Hotmail messages will appear.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some more answers to your frequently asked questions about Hotmail.
What do I do if I can’t add my Hotmail account to my phone?
If you’re having trouble adding your Hotmail account to your phone, the first thing you should do is check that your password is correct. More often than not, a typo in a password is the culprit.
However, many users have reported issues adding their Hotmail accounts to their phones despite an accurate password. If you have further issues, you can sign in to your Hotmail account on a web browser and add the page to your home screen on both iOS and Android phones. This is a quick and simple workaround for a stubborn Hotmail account.
Do I add @hotmail.com or @outlook.com when signing into Outlook?
Although you’re using the Outlook app to log into your Hotmail account, you still use @hotmail.com. Because Outlook now owns Hotmail, you can still use your Hotmail email address.