Xiaomi has finally unveiled a new model in its MIX series today in China. This time around, it is not a MIX Fold, as the new phone does not have a screen that folds. However, the Xiaomi Mi MIX 4 is also a phone with some unique features. It is the first phone from the manufacturer to feature with an in-display camera and Ultra Wide Band support, and also the first phone in the world to be powered by the Snapdragon 888 Plus processor.
Xiaomi Mi MIX 4 Is A Classy Flagship
The MIX 4 is a clean and classy business flagship by Xiaomi. The display is slightly curved and the back is covered in ceramic which is now 30% lighter. There is a large square-shaped camera housing on the back that is home to three rear cameras.
The MIX 4 has a 6.67-inch AMOLED 3D curved display with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. The screen is a 10-bit TrueColor panel with a 500,000:1 contrast ratio. Xiaomi says there is also Gorilla Glass Victus protection on the display.
The display uses a micro-diamond pixel technology that reduces pixel sizes and increases pixel brightness. Xiaomi says that the re-designed display allows for better camera zone transparency.
Xiaomi’s new phone is also the first in the world to be powered by the Snapdragon 888+ processor. The chipset is paired with up to 12GB of RAM and 512GB of storage.
One of the highlights of the MIX 4 is its in-display camera technology which Xiaomi has dubbed CUP (camera under-panel). It is a 20MP 1.6μm 4-in-1 Super Pixel sensor.
On the rear are three cameras – a 108MP HMX f/1.9 main camera with 7P lens and OIS, an 8MP 50x periscope camera with OIS that offers 5x optical zoom, and last is a 13MP f/2.2 free-form ultra-wide-angle camera. The free-form lens on the ultrawide angle camera means that distortion is reduced to about 1% compared to the 20% on a standard lens.
There is a 4500mAh battery capacity with support for 120W fast charging and 50W wireless charging. The latter has a default mode that takes 45 minutes to charge the phone to 100% while a Boost mode takes just 28 minutes. For wired fast charging, boost mode charges the phone in just 15 minutes while normal mode takes 21 minutes. Xiaomi claims that the maximum rear temperature of the phone while charging at 120W is 37°C.
Xiaomi has equipped the Mi MIX 4 with a cooling technology that has a surface area of 11588mm². It includes a 4584mm² graphene sheet, a 1232mm² graphene heat spreader, a second 5070mm² graphite sheet, and a 702mm² graphite sheet in between the wireless charging coil and the ceramic back.
The MIX 4 has stereo speakers tuned by Harman Kardon. It also has 19 antennas, support for 42 frequency bands, and a signal optimization mode that works in 8 scenarios where there is usually high traffic such as at the airport, hospital, and subway station. Xiaomi has also added support for 500MHz Ultra Wide Band that allows for precise spatial positioning.
There is also an impressive Find-My-Phone feature that keeps the MIX 4 connected to a network even after the SIM card has been removed. Users will also be able to find the phone if it is turned off.
Xiaomi Mi Mix 4 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 5, 8, 28, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA/Sub6
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, August 10
- Status: Exp. release 2021, August
- Dimensions: 162.6 x 75.4 x 8 mm (6.40 x 2.97 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 225 g (7.94 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), ceramic back, aluminum frame
- Colors: Ceramic Black, Ceramic White, Shadow Gray
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP53, dust and splash protection
- Type: AMOLED, 1B colors, 120Hz, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, 800 nits (HBM)
- Size: 6.67 inches, 107.4 cm2 (~87.6% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~395 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus
- Wide color gamut
- Android 11, MIUI 12.5
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888+ 5G (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.99 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Storage: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 108 MP, f/1.9, 24mm (wide), 1/1.33″, 0.8µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, Laser AF, OIS
- 8 MP, f/4.1, 120mm (periscope telephoto), PDAF, OIS, 5x optical zoom
- 13 MP, f/2.2, 12mm, 123˚ (ultrawide), 1/3.06″, 1.12µm
- Features: Dual-LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/120/480fps; gyro-EIS, HDR10+
- Selfie Camera: Single – Under-display 20 MP, 27mm (wide), 1/3.4″, 0.8µm
- Video: [email protected]
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- Tuned by Harman Kardon
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, QZSS, NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared port: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, color spectrum
- Ultra Wideband (UWB) support
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4500 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 120W, 100% in 15 min (advertised)
- Fast wireless charging 50W, 100% in 28 min (advertised)
- Quick Charge 4
- Power Delivery 3.0
MI MIX 4 Price and Availability
The MIX 4 is available in four configurations and below are their prices:
- 8GB RAM + 128GB = ¥4999 (~$770)
- 8GB RAM + 256GB = ¥5299 (~$817)
- 12GB RAM + 256GB = ¥5799 (~$894)
- 12GB RAM + 512GB = ¥6299 (~$972)
The phone in three colors – Ceramic White, Ceramic Gray, and Ceramic Black.
The MIX 4 will be available for pre-order starting today and will be available for purchase starting on August 16 at Mi Home stores, Xiaomi’s online store, Youpin, and authorized partners.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU