Legal Documents Required as Proof of Residence in South Africa.
As a citizen of South Africa, sometimes situations may warrant that you show proof of residence. But what will you do if, at this point, you find yourself having nothing to present? Having proof of residence is evidence that you live in a specific location in South Africa.
Therefore as a residence of South Africa, if you have nothing to present as proof of residence, you can rely on this article as a guide to getting one. But let’s begin by telling you everything you need to know about proof of residence. Take your time and read on!
Table of Contents
What does a Proof of Residence Mean?
Proof of residence refers to a document that confirms where you live. The document must have your full name and address printed on it. According to the 2001 Financial Intelligence Act 38, FICA was established to mitigate financial crimes and to safeguard banking customers from these crimes.
Banks are now required to keep accurate and up to date information about their customers. The information includes FICA proof of residence. There are specific documents that you can use as proof of residence, South Africa.
Why is Proof of Residence Necessary in South Africa?
The document or letter to confirm the residential address must not be more than three months old. The information that is provided by each citizen is updated in the Electronic National Administration Traffic Information System database.
Moreover, the South Africa Revenue Service (SARS) requires you to fill in the proof of residence form or provide a document that proves this information. SARS is the body that is authorized to collect taxes in South Africa.
The institution ensures that the citizenry and all organizations comply with the existing tax laws and enhance the efficiency in tax collection.
The SARS tax year will begin on the 1st of August 2019, and all taxpayers will be required to file their taxes through e-filing or visiting a SARS branch. When registering with SARS, additional documents may be required. These include your SARS proof of address form. Anyone who is yet to fill in their SARS proof of residence form should do so soon.
Conditions Necessary for a Document to be Approved as Proof of Residence
- It is not older than three months (for monthly issued reports.)
- It must not be older than one year (for documents that are issued annually.)
- It must show the township name and your ERF number or physical address.
- Documents with a postal address only are not acceptable
- Electronic records are permitted on condition that there is proof of the sender and their complete address details are visible on the document(s.)
- In cases where the proof of residence FNB bears the name of a third party, you must complete a cohabitation declaration and submit other relevant documents.
Documents Required as Proof of Residence in South Africa?
- A utility bill, such as municipal water bill, lights bill, or a statement from your property managing agent
- Policy statement or medical aid statement (The policy number should be visible on the document)
- An affidavit that confirms address (this only applies for individuals)
- A traffic fine statement issued by a Metro police station (E-toll statements are not allowed)
- A letter from your municipal councilor
- Your tax certificate
- A recent rental agreement or active lease
- An invoice of your municipal rates and taxes
- An account statement from a National Credit Regulator that is fully registered (The National Credit Regulator number should be clear.)
- Security service providers registered with the Private Security Industry Regulatory Authority; the provider’s number should be visible Your mobile phone or telephone statement
- Your approved SARS document
- A valid letter or renewal for your television license
- Your license renewal or confirmation letter for your television
- A document showing your subscription television payment, such as your Multi-Choice statement
- A legitimate home loan statement from an approved financial institution
- Your long or short term insurance policy document from an approved financial institution
- Your vehicle registration or license document
- An official letter from an employer for an employee residing within the company or institution premises
- A formal registration letter from your college, university or technikon
All you need to do is to get the proof of residence form and fill in the required details. You can access the proof of residence form South Africa from the nearby government offices.
The affidavit for proof of residence South Africa is also easy to fill. Typically, this is used when one resides in a property that is not theirs, such as a tenant. Unlike the property owner who does not require an affidavit as evidence of address because all the bills have their name, a cohabitant or tenant requires the affidavit.
The affidavit may be made by the landlord or property owner. Alternatively, you can easily download the affidavit template and fill in all the required details as accurately as possible.
NB: The affidavit must be made when a Commissioner of Oaths is present. The documents that must accompany the affidavit are copies of the national identity cards for both the landlord or property owner and the person requiring proof of address.
Proof of residence South Africa is required by banks, applications, or for the renewal of your driver’s license and even when registering as a taxpayer. Whether you require proof of residence SARS or FNB, the process is relatively easy for each South African. All you need is to provide one of the approved documents.
- None Found
For the latest Tech News and Reviews, follow Naija tech news on Twitter, Facebook, and Google News. For the latest videos on gadgets and tech, subscribe to our YouTube channel.