Many of the places we visit on the internet require us to have credentials to enter them. And with so many passwords needed, it’s normal to forget some of them. An Apple ID password, for example, isn’t something you focus on because you remain logged into your Apple account until you actively log out. Therefore, it’s understandable if you forget what password is associated with your Apple account.
If you can’t remember your Apple ID password, there’s no need to worry. Here, you’ll learn how to recover your Apple ID password and ultimately regain access to your account. So, keep reading to find out more.
Forgot Apple ID Password Activation Lock
Activation Lock is a feature that automatically activates when you turn on Find My on your Apple device. The only way to bypass the activation lock screen is by providing your Apple ID and password. In this section, we’ll show you how to recover your password. But first, here are some tips on how you can recover your Apple ID, in case you’ve forgotten it:
- Check your Apple emails – As an Apple customer, you’re bound to receive emails from the company frequently, including billing information, policy updates, and marketing. Apple usually includes your Apple ID in all emails they send you. Usually, it contains the first few characters of your email or phone followed by multiple asterisks (that replace letters, numbers, and other symbols in the actual ID), which should help you remember. Sometimes your Apple ID doesn’t come masked, making it even easier for you to identify it.
- Check other Apple devices that you’re signed into – If checking your emails hasn’t been successful, then check for your Apple ID on other Apple devices that you might own. Usually, the Apple ID is displayed on the profile section of your device.
- Check the Apple apps you’re signed into – Apps such as Facetime, Messages, and AppStore display your Apple ID on the profile provided that you’re signed in. So, go to one of those apps and retrieve your Apple ID from the profile page.
- Visit the Apple ID page – If you still can’t remember the email address associated with your account, go to appleid.apple.com and scan it.
How to Reset Your Apple ID Password
If you can’t remember your Apple ID password, there are several ways to reset it. The easiest way to reset your password is by using another Apple device you’re signed into – for example, a Mac, an iPhone, or an iPad. Here are the steps to take on a Mac:
- Go on your Mac and click the Apple logo.
- From the options, select “System Preferences.”
- Click on your profile and tap on Apple ID.
Here are the steps to take on an iPad or an iPhone:
- Open Settings.
- Tap on your profile.
- Select “Password & Security.”
- Tap on “Change Password.”
- Enter your passcode.
- Please type in your new password and confirm it in the provided fields.
If you don’t have an Apple device that you’re already logged into, Apple recommends borrowing an Apple device and using it to reset. So, borrow an iPhone or an iPad from a family member or a friend, then follow these steps to retrieve your password:
- Install the Apple Support app and open it.
- Under topics, choose the “Password & Security” option.
- Go to “Reset Apple ID Password” and click “Get Started.”
- Tap on “Different Apple ID” then “Continue.”
- Key in your Apple ID and tap “Next.”
- Enter your recovery contact number and select “Next.”
- Press the “Cannot Access Your Apple Device” button.
- Key in the code sent to your phone, then proceed to the next step.
- Enter the phone’s passcode or password and set a new password for your account.
- Confirm your new password to finish.
Once you have your Apple ID and password, key them on the Activation Lock screen to unlock your device.
Forgot Apple ID Password and Lost My Phone
If you’ve forgotten your Apple ID passwords and lost your phone, then your best option is to use a friend’s phone to reset it. Once you have an iPhone or an iPad, follow these steps to reset your Apple ID password:
- On your friend’s phone, install the Apple Support app and open it.
- Once you have opened the app, select the “Password & Security” option from the topics section.
- Select “Reset Apple ID Password” then tap on “Get Started.”
- Select “Different Apple ID” and tap on “Continue.”
- In the provided field, enter your Apple ID or the email address associated with your account and tap “Next.”
- Under the Phone Number section, enter your recovery phone number and tap “Next.”
- On the next screen, select the option “Cannot Access Your Apple Device.”
- You should receive a code on your recovery contact number. Fill in the code in the provided field and proceed to the next step.
- Enter your phone’s passcode or password when prompted.
- Now, set a new password for your Apple account and confirm it to finish.
Forgot Apple ID Password on a Mac
Considering the number of passwords one needs to remember, it’s hardly a surprise if you can’t remember your Mac’s Apple ID password. Fortunately, resetting an Apple ID Password is relatively simple. Here are the steps to follow:
- On your Mac, click the Apple logo.
- Go to “System Preferences”.
- Select “Apple ID.”
- On the right sidebar, open the “Password & Security” option.
- Click on “Change Password.”
- Enter your Mac’s password.
- Fill in your new Apple ID password in the pop-up widget, then confirm it.
- Once you’re done, hit the “Change” button.
In case you have forgotten your Apple ID too, follow these steps to find it:
- Launch your browser and go to “iforgot.apple.com.”
- Enter your first name, last name, and email address in the fields provided.
- Complete the ReCaptcha and press the “Continue” button.
• If a green alert doesn’t appear after the above steps, go back to the second step, and try again using a different email address.
• If a match is found, you should see a checkmark on your screen and your Apple ID. You should also have an option to go back to your account.
How to Reset Your Apple ID Password Using iPhone
To reset your Apple ID password using an iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open the “Settings” app.
- Tap on your profile.
- Open the “Password & Security” menu.
- Tap on “Change Password.”
- Enter your phone’s passcode.
- Set a new Apple ID password and retype it to confirm it.
How to Reset Apple ID Password Using an iPad
Since an iPad is an Apple device, you can use it to reset your Apple ID password. Here’s how to go about the process.
- Launch “Settings.”
- Select your user Profile.
- From the options, select “Password & Security.”
- Select “Change Password.”
- Key in a new password for your Apple ID and confirm it.
How to Add a Recovery Contact on Your iPhone or iPad
Setting up a recovery contact is a great way to ensure that you always have access to your Apple account, no matter what. Here are the steps for adding a recovery contact on your iPad or iPhone:
- Go to your phone’s settings.
- Tap on your profile.
- Select “Password & Security” and go to “Account and Recovery.”
- Go to “Add Recovery Contact.”
- Search for the contact you want to add and tap on “Add.”
- Your friend should receive a message that they’ve been added as your account recovery contact.
The above feature strictly works on iOS 15, iPadOS 15, macOS Monterey, and newer. You also need two-factor authentication enabled on your device to access the “Account Recovery” feature.
How do I change the email address I use as my Apple ID?
If you want to change the email address you use as your Apple ID, follow these steps:
1. On your device, open the browser and go to Apple’s ID page.
2. Log into your account using your current Apple account credentials.
3. Go to the “Sign-in and Security” tab and click the “Apple ID” section.
4. Key the new email address.
5. Click the “Change Apple ID” button to finish.
What should I do if I forget my Apple ID phone number?
If you have forgotten your Apple ID phone number, follow these steps to recover it:
1. Sign out of all the Apple devices you’re currently logged in with your Apple ID.
2. Go to your browser and open appleid.app.com.
3. Sign into your account using your credentials.
4. Under “Sign-In and Security,” select Apple ID.
5. Specify the mobile number you want to use and hit the “Change Apple ID” button.
6. You should receive a verification code from Apple on the phone number you’ve just keyed above. Enter the code on the website to finish.
Losing Your Apple ID Password Isn’t the End
Remembering login credentials for important accounts such as Apple is always good. However, as humans, we’re bound to forget once in a while. Fortunately, Apple makes it super easy for you to recover your account’s password so long as you remember your phone number and Apple ID email address. Conveniently, if you have many emails and you’re trying to figure out which one you used for your Apple account, you can look it up on their website.
Have you ever forgotten your Apple ID or password? Which method did you use to recover it? Please share your experience with us in the comments section below.