Table of Contents
Google has removed more than 500 malicious extensions from Chrome Web Store. The step has been taken after research conducted by security researcher Jamila Kaya revealed that the malicious extensions were injecting malicious ads at the time of the user’s browsing sessions. Users were redirected to specific sites via the malicious ads injected by the extensions.
Continue after the short break
ad: GET $10,000+ Free Elon Musk Money on X (Twitter) Click Here
ad: Monetize your Facebook Account for Monthly $500 Click Here
ad: How to Earn Free $100 on Binance & Withdraw Click Here
- Jumia Black Friday Sales 90% OFF
- Download All Latest Movies & TV Series
- Download PPSSPP Games
- Download All Premium Apps for Android
- Latest Phones Specs & Prices
- Latest PC Specs & Prices
- Check Latest Tech News & Telcom gist
- How to tech and guides DIY
In some cases, the result page turned out to be a legitimate one like Dell, BestBuy or Macys. In most of the cases, the result page was a malicious one like a phishing page or a malware download site.
A report by Duo Security says that the removed extensions were a part of a malware operation running for the last two years. It has been claimed that the group behind the infected Chrome Extensions is running malicious activities since 2010.
Initially, the researchers found around 71 malicious extensions in Google Chrome having more than 1.7 million downloads. Next, extensive research identified that more than 430 other extensions are also malicious.
The malvertising operation had an objective to steal users’ private data without any knowledge. The extensions took the users to hardcoded control servers to access sensitive information like advertisement feed and domains for future malvertising, locations to upload data.
You can check out the list of banned Google Chrome extensions here.
Duo’s report contains the names of all extensions that were part of malicious activities. As per the latest update, Google has removed the extensions from the official web store. It has also deactivated the extensions in the user’s browser. Additionally, the company has marked the extensions as malicious in Chrome so that the users avoid reactivating them.
- Google Chrome saves users 10,000 years of waiting for web pages to load
- Google Chrome browser version 120 no longer supports Android 7.0/7.1
- Google to pay Apple $18 billion to keep Google Chrome Default
- Safest Method to delete Google browsing history
- How to Enable and Use iCloud Passwords in Google Chrome for Windows
- Google Chrome On Android Gets Tab Grouping and How it works
- [Resolved] ERR_CONNECTION TIMED OUT error on Chrome (2023)
- How to recover tabs Closed on Chrome by mistake
- How to use Chrome dark mode on Android, Window, iOS & macOS
Advertising statement: The external jump links (including but not limited to hyperlinks, QR codes, passwords, etc.) contained in the article are used to convey more information and save selection time. The results are for reference only. All Naijatechnews articles include this statement.