Bring your TikTok videos to life with fun effects. What sets TikTok apart from other similar social media apps are the integrated video filters and effects that can be added to clips after they are recorded or in real-time as they are recorded. Here’s how to add both.
Table of Contents
How to add effects on TikTok
TikTok effects are used by both casual users and the most influential social media influencers to make their videos more engaging and fun. Here’s how to add video effects on TikTok.
- Open the TikTok app on your iPhone or Android smartphone.
- Tap the + button in the center of the lower menu.
- Touch the red Record icon to record a new video or touch Upload to upload an existing clip from your device. Vertical videos look better on TikTok and tend to get more engagement.
- Tap Effects from the bottom menu.
- The TikTok app will show you a live preview of your video with a timeline below it. Drag the white marker to where you want to insert an effect. If you want to place an effect on the whole video, leave the white marker at the beginning.
- The available TikTok effects will be displayed as circular icons in the timeline. The default category of effects is Visual. You can swipe left or right to browse this list and find the one you like.
- To view the effects of other categories, touch the category name below the circles. Trans is synonymous with transition and is best used in the space on the timeline where one clip ends and another begins.
- When you find an effect you want to try, long tap on its icon to apply it.
- Now you can play the video to see how it looks. If you are not satisfied with the results, touch the arrow icon which should now be visible below the timeline to cancel it.
- Repeat with all the effects you want in other parts of your TikTok video or even above the existing ones. Usually, you can only use a TikTok effect from the Sticker category for the video. However, other effects can be used on this type of effect.
- When you’re ready, tap Save.
- Make the usual changes with the video volume, sounds, stickers, or text functions as usual and tap Next. It’s fine to just tap Next without making any further changes.
- Enter a good description, choose hashtags and settings, and tap Publish. Your TikTok video will now be live with the effects you have chosen.
How to add filters on TikTok
Like the effects, TikTok filters are also used by small, medium, and super popular users on the social network. While effects on TikTok are used to create dynamic or creative visual elements, TikTok filters are used to make more subtle changes and work in much the same way as photographic filters on Instagram.
- Touch the icon with the + symbol.
- Touch the red Record icon to record a new video or touch Upload to use a clip saved on your device. You can upload or record several snippets of footage for use in your TikTok video if you wish.
- In the upper right corner of the video preview, you should see a menu. Touch Filters. This menu may be difficult to see if your video has a lot of white.
- A variety of filters will appear at the bottom of the screen. Touch one to preview live on your video.
- While the filters are sorted by categories, you can use one on any video. For example, it is entirely correct to use a filter from the Food Filter category in a shopping video.
- Drag the white dot to decrease or increase the intensity of the TikTok video filter. Once your TikTok video looks the way you want, tap it to close the Filters menu. To remove all applied filters and start over, tap the icon on the left that looks like a circle with a line running through it.
- Make any other changes you want to make to the video and tap Next when finished.
- Finish by entering the appropriate information and choosing the settings you want, then tap Publish to publish your video.
Where’s the Sparkle TikTok filter?
One of the trendiest filters on TikTok is the one that adds bright sparkles to the video. This can be difficult to find because it is not a filter, it is an effect and can be found in the Effects menu. Also, there is actually no effect called Sparkle.
TikTok users who have videos with a sparkle effect probably used one or more of the following TikTok effects:
- Gold dust
- Bling heart
All of these effects fall into the Visual category.
How to add text to a TikTok video
Adding text to a TikTok video is fairly simple and happens in a very similar way to how you add text to an Instagram story.
- Open the TikTok app.
- Touch the + icon.
- Record a video as usual or upload it from your smartphone.
- In the bottom menu, touch Text.
- A keyboard will appear in addition to a variety of format options. First, type in your message.
- Choose your font style and color from the menu above the keyboard.If you accidentally left the text editing screen, tap your words in the video preview and tap Edit.
- Touch the A icon to add a color outline around the text. Also, touch the line icon to choose an alignment preference. Adding a structure can be a great way to improve readability on both the video and its thumbnail.
- Tap Done.
- Using two fingers, resize, move and rotate the text to take it wherever you want.
- Tap Next.
- Make the usual choices enter a description with a hashtag, and tap Publish to publish your TikTok video.