The Texas Lottery isn’t just about fun and games; the TX Lottery generates revenue for Texas education and veteran assistance programs while incorporating the highest standards of security, integrity, and responsible gaming principles.
Mega Millions is the multi-state game that Texans have come to love. Choose 5 numbers plus a Mega Ball number, and remember, when you buy, Megaply fora chance to increase your non-grand/jackpot prize winnings!
Mega Millions is one of the two large multi-state lottery games played in the U.S. Draws take place in Atlanta, Georgia, on Tuesdays and Fridays, at 11 p.m. ET.
The game costs $2 a ticket and is played by picking five numbers from a set of 70 and one Mega Ball number from a set of 25. Mega Millions offers a $40 Million starting jackpot and a second-tier (Match 5+0) prize of $1,000,000.
How to Play the Mega Millions
Mega Million jackpots start at $40 million!
Second-tier prize amount is $1 Million! If you win the second-tier prize (Match 5+0) and you Megaplied your purchase, you can win up to $5 Million!
There are 9 ways to win!
You can always ask your Texas Lottery® retailer for a “Quick Pick” and the terminal will pick all your numbers for you!
Just the Jackpot™ is a new wager available to Mega Million players. Just the Jackpot Play offers 2 chances to win the Mega Millions Grand Prize for $3.
Just the Jackpot wagers are eligible for the Mega Millions Grand Prize ONLY! Just the Jackpot wagers are not eligible to win any other prize (non-Grand Prize) in the Mega Millions game.
Drawings are broadcast each Tuesday and Friday at 10:12 p.m. CT. Ticket sales are not available during Draw Break, from 9:45 – 10:15 p.m.
In Texas, there was a total of more than $11,000,000 worth of Mega Million ticket sales Tuesday night alone.
The next drawing will be Friday. The estimated jackpot for that drawing would be the second-largest lottery prize in U.S. history.
The record lottery jackpot was a $1.6 billion Powerball prize won in January 2016.
The jackpot has been growing since July, when a group of California office workers won $543 million.
Mega Million players select five numbers from 1 to 70 and one Mega Ball number from 1 to 25.
Mega Millions is played in Texas, 43 other states plus Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands. It costs $2 to play the game — without the Megaplier option — and the sales cutoff time in Texas is 9:45 p.m.
Texas Lottery Records
- In 2016, Texas Lottery saw record-breaking sales of $5.07 billion. A revenue transfer of $1.39 billion was given to the state, making it the single largest annual lottery transfer in the state’s history.
- For the 13th consecutive year, the Texas Lottery has generated more than $1 billion in revenue for Texas.
- In 2016, $1.37 billion in proceeds was transferred to the Foundation School Fund to support public education, which was the largest annual revenue transfer to the Foundation School Fund in the history of the Texas Lottery.
- Also in 2016, $14.7 million was transferred to the Texas Veterans Commission for the sale of the dedicated scratch tickets, the largest annual transfer to the Veterans Fund since the inception of the game in 2009.
Texas Lottery Achievements
- Since 1992, over $25 billion in revenue has been generated for the state of Texas, including more than $19 billion given in support to the Foundation School Fund.
- More than $66 million since the fiscal year 2010 has been transferred to the Texas Veterans Commission, benefiting the Fund For Veterans’ Assitance.