When creating a Yahoo account, you are required to enter another email or a phone number. This requirement helps prevent the theft of your account and the creation of bot accounts. It also helps during an account recovery process. However, for those who don’t want to give Yahoo their phone number, there are ways to create an account without it.
Keep reading to learn how to create a Yahoo account or email address without a phone number.
How to Create a Yahoo Account or Email Address Without a Phone Number
You can use three methods to create a Yahoo account without using your own phone number. Yahoo has built in two separate email-based workarounds to the phone number requirement. If these do not work for you, there is a potential phone number solution.
Create an Account With Google
Users with a Google account can create a Yahoo account without fulfilling the phone number requirement. Google allows many websites and companies to automatically sign-up users using Google credentials. This links the two accounts, adds security, and keeps you from accumulating too many passwords.
To create a Yahoo account with your Google account:
- Go to Yahoo and click the sign-in button in the top right corner.
- At the bottom of the sign-in box, click the Google logo.
- If you are signed into your Google account on the device, you will be asked to confirm the Google account you wish to use. If not, you will be prompted to log in to your Google account.
- You will be redirected to a screen to confirm your name and birth year. Fill in this information and click “Next.”
- Click “Done” at the bottom of the confirmation screen.
You now have full access to your Yahoo account and can start using it immediately. You can send and receive email through Yahoo Mail, but you will not have an [email protected] email address.
Create an Account With an Email Service
If you don’t have a Google account, you can create an account using another email platform such as Hotmail or Outlook. Follow the instructions below to create an account using another email:
- Visit Yahoo and click the sign-in button in the top right corner.
- At the bottom of the sign-in box, click the “Create an Account” button.
- Click “My Email” at the bottom of the account page.
- Enter your full name, the email you want to use, and your birth year. Click “Next.”
- A verification email will be sent to the email you used. Copy and paste the code from that email into Yahoo and press “Continue.”
- Follow the prompts to create a new password and finish setting up your account.
Once you’ve set up the account, you can use Yahoo services immediately. Remember, this will only create an account but doesn’t create an @yahoo.com email address. However, you can still use the Yahoo Inbox without the @yahoo.com email address. Emails from the address you used to set up the account will automatically start to forward to Yahoo Inbox.
In closing, there are plenty of valid reasons for users to want to keep their phone numbers from Yahoo. Since Yahoo requires a phone number to create an email address, account registration can be tricky. Luckily, Gmail and Third-party email services like Outlook can help navigate around that requirement. However, the drawback is that you don’t get a yahoo domain email address ([email protected]). For many, that’s not a big deal.
Have you successfully set up a Yahoo account or email without providing your actual phone number? What method did you use? Let us know all about it in the comment section below!