The Internet is the perfect place to find inspiration for cute outfits for your upcoming holiday. While browsing Instagram or Pinterest, you’ve probably encountered just the right dress for that fancy dinner or the ideal swimsuit for some killer beach photos.
How can you convert that picture to an article of clothing in your closet?
If you’re unsure if a picture can help you buy the desired clothing item, you’ve come to the right place. Keep reading to learn how to find a dress or swimsuit from a picture you’ve found online or taken yourself.
How to Find the Exact Dress or Swimsuit From a Picture
Sometimes you spot a clothing item of your dreams in a photo, and you won’t settle for anything less than buying an exact match. There are several apps and tools that can scour the Internet for you and help you find the exact dress or swimsuit you’ve seen.
These apps use AI-powered recognition technology to identify colors, patterns, styles, and other distinctive clothing characteristics. If they fail to find an exact match, they’ll show you similar products in various price ranges.
Google Lens is arguably the most powerful photo recognition tool, since it can easily search the entire web. This tool is probably your best shot at finding the exact match for your dream dress or swimsuit.
Depending on your phone, you can access this tool through a standalone app on the Play Store or the Google Photos app on the App Store.
Android users who encounter a must-have dress or swimsuit in person can do a search on the spot.
- Launch the Google Lens app.
- Tap the camera icon above the “Search with your camera” option.
- Point your camera at the desired clothing item, centering it in the available grid.
- Press the shutter button at the bottom of your screen to search the web.
- Once the results appear, tap the “Search” button next to the matching one to see more details online.
If your inspiration comes while scrolling through Pinterest or Instagram, you can find the desired dress or swimsuit by following these steps.
- Launch the Google Lens app.
- Scroll down until you find the photo containing the clothing item.
- Tap on the photo to open it.
- Drag the grid to center it on the item to make the results more accurate.
You’ll notice that the results at the bottom of your page update as you move the sliders. Hopefully, your photo shows the item clearly enough for the tool to find it online. If you don’t isolate the dress or swimsuit accordingly, Google Lens will detect each product in the photo individually.
This detection goes beyond just wearables. The tool will try to track down as many objects as possible, including food, plants, and other inanimate objects.
When it comes to iPhone users, most won’t have to download any additional apps to use the Google Lens tool. This tool is integrated into the Google Photos app. To try it out, simply do the following.
- Launch the Google Photos app.
- Locate the photo with the dress or swimsuit you wish to find.
- Tap the camera icon at the bottom.
After the Google algorithm works its magic, it will display matching results.
Lykdat is a platform all about finding clothes from pictures. It has one of the most accurate algorithms and should produce an exact result. For now, Lykdat only has a web client, which you can access on your mobile or PC browser.
As far as searching goes, it couldn’t be easier.
- On the Lykdat landing page, scroll down to the “Shop for items you like” section.
- Click on the camera icon inside a rectangle.
- Locate the photo containing your swimsuit or dress.
- Hit “Open.”
- Drag the handles to crop your photo accordingly.
- Press the checkmark button at the bottom of the picture.
- Browse through the results to find the matching item.
What’s great about Lykdat is that you can refine your search using filters. If the website only displays similar products, try assisting the algorithm by selecting the following filters on the right.
- Seller or brand
If you prefer to use an app dedicated to finding clothing items online, consider installing CamFind. This visual search engine platform is available both for Android and iPhone users.
The search process is intuitive and straightforward. As soon as you launch the app, it will open on a camera. From there, you can choose to do either of the following.
- Take a direct photo of the dress or the swimsuit by tapping the purple circle
- Find a photo containing the item(s) on your phone by pressing the Gallery icon on the left
CamFind is a bit slower than Google Lens and Lykdat, but it makes up for it in thoroughly researched results. Once it identifies the item in the photo, the app will display relevant information.
- The name of the item
- Product Description
- A shopping link
- A related YouTube link
- A related news article
Unfortunately, the app doesn’t allow you to crop the photo before the algorithm kicks in, so make sure to do so before.
Since Pinterest is the go-to fashion inspiration hub, it’s more than likely your dream dress or swimsuit came from a photo on this social media site. You’ll be happy to know that besides inspiration, the site also provides a built-in visual search tool called Pinterest Lens.
For now, Pinterest Lens is only available for Android and iPhone mobile apps. This tool is perfect for finding more obscure items that usually evade other AI lenses. Here’s how to find a dress or a swimsuit from a picture using Pinterest Lens.
- Tap the magnifying icon at the bottom of your Pinterest screen.
- On the search page, press the camera icon in the upper-right corner.
- Take a picture of the desired item or find it in your gallery.
- Scroll through the displayed results to find the perfect match.
Pinterest has also partnered with a shopping platform called ShopStyle, allowing it to immediately provide shopping links for matched products.
How to Find a Similar Dress or Swimsuit From a Picture
If you’ve spotted your dream dress or swimsuit on a celebrity or an influencer, chances are it comes with a hefty price tag. In this case, you can use Amazon StyleSnap to find similar-looking products that won’t break the bank.
How to Use Amazon StyleSnap
As the world’s biggest retailer, it’s more than likely Amazon will have a similar style to the dress or swimsuit you’ve fallen in love with. Both Amazon’s app and the web client offer a clothing-focused visual search engine known as StyleSnap.
On your PC, you can search Amazon’s database in four simple steps.
- Go to Amazon StyleSnap.
- Click on the “Upload a Photo” button.
- Locate your photo and tap “Open.”
- Scroll through the featured similar styles to find the one that works for you.
The app won’t pose more of a challenge than the web client.
- Download the Amazon Shopping app for Android or iPhone.
- Tap the camera icon in the upper-right corner.
- Press the “StyleSnap” icon in the bottom-left corner.
- Upload the picture containing the desired dress or swimsuit.
- Scroll through the results to find one closest to what you have in mind.
Note that this tool is only available in certain regions for now. So, if there’s no StyleSnap option at the bottom left, you can only use the camera to scan the item directly.
Make the Internet Your Shopping Mall
Thanks to constant technological advancements, what used to feel like an impossible mission can now be done in a few clicks. Finding that gorgeous dress or swimsuit from a picture is no different. Thanks to the many available AI-powered visual tools, you have a shopping mall with endless clothing options in the palm of your hand.
Have you ever managed to find a clothing item from a picture? What tool did you use? Let us know in the comments section below.