Want to type heart hands, sparkles, party popper, fireworks, Christmas tree, and tons of other emojis using your Chromebook? Learn how to get emojis on Chromebook in the three best ways and make casual conversations fun and engaging.
Getting emojis on a smartphone or tablet is effortless. The on-screen keyboard comes with a dedicated key just for smiles and emojis. But Chromebook, Windows, and Mac computer keyboards don’t carry any specific key just for emojis.
However, all these computer operating systems (OS) have built-in emoji libraries on their virtual or software keyboards. It’s just a matter of knowing how to get the emoji keyboard on these devices.
Find below some effortless steps on how to use emojis on Chromebook. Read until the end to also discover some bonus content.
How to Get Emojis on Chromebook: Using Hotkeys
Using this hotkey method, you can get emojis on your Chromebook whenever getting a text input option anywhere on the device. You can try these steps on your Chromebook now:
- Click anywhere that lets you type or on a text field like the Search box, Google Docs, or text box of WhatsApp.
- Press Search + Shift + Space together. You can also try Launcher + Shift + Space.
- A context menu will appear near the cursor with many emojis.
- Pick one or multiple emojis from the context menu.
- Hit Enter to send the emojis.
- You can try this method when you’re typing texts and need to do emojis on a Chromebook.
How to Get Emoji Keyboard on Chromebook: Using On-Screen Keyboard
You may want a whole keyboard filled with tons of emojis and smilies. No worries! Google ChromeOS comes with an out-of-the-box emoji keyboard. Here’s how you can get the emoji keyboard on your Chromebook:
If you can use the Chromebook in tablet mode, flip the device’s screen over its hinge. The on-screen keyboard will pop up instantly. Now, you should see a smiley on the right side of the Alt key. That’s the dedicated key for emojis on Chromebook.
Just tap the Smiley key to get emojis on your Chromebook. All the emojis will open up on the virtual keyboard. Tap any emoji to insert it in your WhatsApp, texts, Twitter posts, and Facebook comments.
If your Chromebook doesn’t support the tablet mode, then follow these steps to get an emoji keyboard on your Chromebook:
- Click the ChromeOS Time located at the bottom right corner of the device.
- The ChromeOS Quick Settings panel will pop up. It contains options like Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Shut Down, etc.
- On the Quick Settings panel, click the cogwheel (Settings) icon.
- The ChromeOS Settings menu will open.
- On the left-side panel, click Advanced.
- Now, scroll the right-side panel slowly until you find Languages and Input.
- Click Languages and Input.
- Scroll again and reach the Input method menu.
- There, toggle on the Show input options on the shelf.
- Close the Settings window.
- Now, you should see a new icon, US, appears to the left of ChromeOS Time.
- Click the US icon to show the Input methods context menu.
- Select Smiley to view the ChromeOS Emoji keyboard at the bottom of the screen.
The ChromeOS Emoji keyboard groups the smilies in various groups. You can explore them by clicking different icons at the bottom of the ChromeOS Emoji keyboard.
If you’re done inserting emojis and want to close the ChromeOS Emoji keyboard, tap the keyboard icon at the bottom-right corner of the smiley keyboard.
How to Use Emojis on Chromebook Without Touchscreen
For non-touchscreen Chromebooks, there are various ways to type emojis during texting, social media commenting, etc. Here are the options you should try:
- Use the hotkeys Search + Shift + Space or Launcher + Shift + Space.
- Click the text field and right-click to bring a context menu with the Emoji option at the top. Click Emoji on this context menu to get popular emojis in a box.
- Activate the Show input options on the shelf from the Input method in ChromeOS Settings. Then, click the input option icon on the Chromebook Shelf to find the emoji keyboard.
How to Use Emojis on Chromebook Without On-Screen Keyboard
You can effortlessly get a bunch of emojis for quick messaging and commenting by pressing the Search + Shift + Space hotkey when using a text editor. Alternatively, you can right-click to get a context menu with an option to show up an emoji box.
How to Get Emojis on Chromebook: Using Accessibility Features
The ChromeOS Accessibility feature is another way to attach the Input methods option to your Chromebook Shelf. From there, you can access the ChromeOS Emoji keyboard effortlessly.
Also, it’s an easy alternative for those who don’t have a tablet-mode-enabled Chromebook. Here’s how you can try this method:
- Select Settings after clicking ChromeOS Time.
- Choose Advanced at the left-side navigation pane.
- Click Accessibility and then select Manage accessibility features on the right-side panel.
- Scroll slowly until you find the Enable on-screen keyboard option. Click on it.
- A keyboard icon will show up on the shelf of your Chromebook.
- Click the Keyboard icon to open the on-screen keyboard.
- Select the Smiley icon to access the ChromeOS Emoji keyboard.
How to Get Emojis on Windows 10/11 (Bonus Tip)
If you’ve got a Windows 10 or 11 computer and wish it also had a similar feature to your Chromebook for emojis, you’re lucky!
When you get a text editing field when using your Windows PC, hit Windows + Period (Dot) hotkey to get an emoji context menu like the Chromebook.
How to Get Emojis on Chromebook: Final Words
So far, you’ve discovered the best three methods to get emojis on Chromebook. Use the method that suits your style and Chromebook model.
Don’t forget to comment if you know any other tips and tricks to use emojis on Chromebook.
Next up, add apps to desktop and find and manage downloads on your Chromebook.