The Chinese OEM Xiaomi has just released its new Mi 10 series smartphones called Xiaomi Mi 10 and Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro. Both devices are equipped with the latest flagship specifications and, above all, with 5G connectivity. Now, if you also own a Mi 10 Pro and are looking for ways to unlock the phone bootloader, then you are in the right place, in this post, we will guide you on how to unlock the Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro bootloader.
If you are new to the world of rooting, first you need to unlock the bootloader of the device and then install a custom recovery like TWRP to root the device. So with that said, let’s go straight to the article.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Bootloader Unlock?
- 2 Why do we have to unlock the bootloader?
- 3 Disadvantages of unlocking the bootloader
- 4 Pre-requisites
- 5 Charge your phone
- 6 You need a PC or laptop
- 7 Download the USB drivers
- 8 Download Mi Unlock Tool
- 9 Enable USB debugging and OEM unlocking
- 10 Associate your Mi account
- 11 Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Mi 10 Pro
- 12 Similar Posts:
What is Bootloader Unlock?
The bootloader is the first thing that starts on the device each time the device is turned on. Instructs the device to run the appropriate programs to run smoothly and provide better performance. In addition, the bootloader is stored away from the user’s reach and is stored in stable memory so that the user cannot obstruct the files.
However, there are methods and ways through which you can safely unlock the device bootloader and proceed with flashing a custom recovery to root the device. However, you need to make sure that you follow a reliable guide and follow the correct steps to avoid permanent damage to the phone.
Why do we have to unlock the bootloader?
After unlocking the bootloader on the phone, you can root the phone. Allows a user to go ahead and install root app, mod app, install custom operating systems like Lineage OS, etc. On the device. Note that unlocking the bootloader will void the device warranty.
The advantages of having an unlocked bootloader:
- You can install any custom ROM like Lineage OS, Resurrection ROM, etc.
- You can also root your device.
- Install a custom restore as TWRP.
Disadvantages of unlocking the bootloader
The following are the disadvantages of unlocking the bootloader that you need to keep in mind before going ahead and actually unlocking the phone bootloader:
- After unlocking the bootloader, the device warranty is voided.
- You will no longer receive official OTA updates.
- You can lock your device if you don’t follow the steps carefully.
Now before proceeding and unlocking the Mi 10 Pro bootloader, let’s make a list of pre-requisites necessary to unlock it:
Charge your phone
You must make sure that your Mi 10 Pro is about 60% charged before using it to unlock the bootloader to avoid boot loop problems during the unlocking process.
You need a PC or laptop
We would run some ADB and Fastboot commands that can be run via PC or laptop. So, we would need a computer to unlock the bootloader.
Download the USB drivers
In order to recognize Mi 10 Pro from your PC, you must have appropriate USB drivers suitable for your phone installed on your computer. And for this, you can follow the link below to download the correct Xiaomi USB drivers on your PC.
Download Mi Unlock Tool
Mi Unlocker Tool is used to unlock the bootloader of any Xiaomi device after obtaining authorization from the MIUI official website. You can download the latest Mi Unlock tool by clicking on the following link:
Enable USB debugging and OEM unlocking
To unlock the bootloader, you must first enable USB debugging and OEM unlocking to interact with your PC or laptop via the Mi Flash tool. You can follow the guide here on how to enable Developer Options and enable USB debugging on your Mi 10 Pro phone
Associate your Mi account
To unlock the bootloader on your Mi 10 Pro, you must first associate your Mi account with the phone. This can be easily done via the Mi Unlock Status menu found in the Developer Options. Follow the steps below to associate your Mi account with your Mi 10 Pro:
- Make sure you have a Mi account. Otherwise, it can be easily created by visiting the official page.
- You must insert the SIM card with the same number that you used to create the Mi account.
- Now, you need to use the mobile internet connection and disconnect from WiFi for the further process.
- Then, go to Settings >> Additional settings >> Developer options >> Add account and device and log in with your account.
- You will be greeted with a toast message indicating “Added successfully. The Mi account is now associated with this device.“
- That’s all!
Note that you shouldn’t try to lock your account again and again, to avoid being temporarily blocked by Mi.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Mi 10 Pro
- Turn off your phone and start a quick start mode.
- You need to connect your device to your PC / laptop with the help of the USB cable in Fastboot mode.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool from the previous section.
- Extract the contents of the zip file and open the miflash_unlock.exe file.
- Log in to the Mi account within the tool.
- The tool will now check if the phone is eligible for unlocking the bootloader.
- Once the phone has been verified, the instrument will show that the “Phone connected“.
- Now click on the Unblock button in the tool.
- You will be asked for a new message where you need to click the Unblock button anyway.
- This will initiate the unlocking process and once the process is complete, a message indicating Unlocked successfully will be displayed.
- Click the Restart phone button. This will restart your phone in the operating system and you will be treated with an unlocked bootloader message confirming that Mi 10 Pro is unlocked.
- That’s all!
I hope this guide will help you unlock your Mi 10 Pro easily and safely and officially. Let us know in the comments if this guide was helpful and comment below if you have encountered problems with any of the steps mentioned above.
For the latest Tech News and Reviews, follow Naija tech news on Twitter, Facebook, and Google News. For the latest videos on gadgets and tech, subscribe to our YouTube channel.