Huawei has launched three new models in order to expand its MatePad line of tablets. Top of the series is the Huawei MatePad Pro 12.6 (2022) which is powered by the Kirin 9000 series. It also announced a 10.8-inch MatePad Pro powered by the Snapdragon 870; and the MatePad 11 which is powered by the Snapdragon 865. The trio run HarmonyOS 2.0 out of the box.
MatePad Pro 12.6 (2022)
The Huawei MatePad Pro 12.6 is the most premium of the pack. It features a 12.6-inch 2560 x 1600 OLED display with 5.6mm slim bezels that give it a 90% screen-to-body ratio. The screen has a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, DCI-P3 color gamut, and a Delta E color accuracy rating of less than 0.5. This is also the first tablet in the world to receive a TÜV Rheinland Full Care Display 2.0 certification.
Huawei has squeezed the camera into one of the side bezels, so you can have your video calls in the landscape position. This design change means that the punch hole of the 2019 model is gone.
The MatePad Pro is powered by the Kirin 9000 series. The Wi-Fi version of the tablet comes with the Kirin 9000E, a variant of the Kirin 9000 with fewer GPU cores and NPU cores. The 5G version of the tablet has a Kirin 9000 chipset. Both versions have 8GB of RAM and users will be able to pick up the Wi-Fi version in 128GB and 256GB storage variants while the 5G version is only available with 256GB of storage. There is support for storage expansion via Huawei’s proprietary NM card slot.
The MatePad Pro 12.6 has an 8MP front-facing camera, a 13MP main rear camera with an f/1.8 aperture, an 8MP f/2.4 ultrawide angle camera, and a 3D depth-sensing camera. There is also an LED flash on the back.
Huawei has packed a total of eight speakers tuned by Harman Kardon and with Histen 7.0 sound effects into the new flagship tablet. There are also four microphones that are designed to pick up your voice from several meters away and also cancel background noise when having a video call or recording.
The MatePad Pro packs a 10050mAh battery that will provide up to 14 hours of playback. It supports 40W fast wired charging, 27W wireless fast charging, and 10W reverse wireless charging. Huawei ships the tablet with a 40W SuperCharge power adapter. Other features are Bluetooth 5.2, dual-band Wi-Fi, USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 port, and OTG reverse wired charging.
The newly introduced HarmonyOS brings new features such as a bottom dock similar to that of iPadOS that shows frequently used apps and also recently used ones. Another feature is New Service Widgets which display information in real-time and allows users to access certain features without launching the app. Two other features are a new Tablet-PC Multi-Screen Collaboration:
App Multiplier – users will be able to scroll up and down on the empty spaces on either side to navigate app content without releasing their grip on the tablet. They can also launch two instances of the same app and interact with each window separately. Huawei says there are almost 4000 apps that have been adopted for App Multiplier.
Tablet-PC Multi-Screen Collaboration – the new MatePad can double as an extended second screen for your computer. Owners can also use it as a digital pad or use it to sign and annotate documents when in mirror mode. While collaborate mode allows users to easily transfer content between the PC and tablet and vice versa with a simple drag and drop. Of course, these features work with Huawei’s own PCs.
Huawei MatePad Pro 12.6 (2022) Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, June 02
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2021, June
- Dimensions: 286.5 x 184.7 x 6.7 mm (11.28 x 7.27 x 0.26 in)
- Weight: 609 g (1.34 lb)
- Colors: Matte Gray, Green, Silver
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Stylus support (magnetic)
- Type: OLED
- Size: 12.6 inches, 460.3 cm2 (~87.0% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 2560 x 1600 pixels, 16:10 ratio (~240 ppi density)
- Chipset: Kirin 9000E 5G (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.13 GHz Cortex-A77 & 3×2.54 GHz Cortex-A77 & 4×2.05 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G78 MP22
- Storage: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (dedicated slot)
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 13 MP, f/1.8, (wide), PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.4, (ultrawide)
- TOF 3D- 13 MP, f/1.8, PDAF
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0
- Video: [email protected]
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers (8 speakers)
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- Tuned by Harman Kardon
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, QZSS
- NFC: No
- USB: USB Type-C 3.1, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 10,050 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 40W
- Reverse charging 5W
- Wireless charging 27W
- Wireless reverse charging 10W
Huawei MatePad Pro 12.6 (2022) Price and Availability
The MatePad Pro is already available for pre-order starting June 2 and it will go on sale on June 10. The tablet comes in three colors – Silver Frost, Matte Gray, and Olive Green which has a textured vegan leather back. Below are the prices:
- 8+128GB Wi-Fi = ¥4999 (~$783)
- 8+256GB Wi-Fi = ¥5499 (~$862)
- 8+256GB Wi+Fi (Keyboard case and M-Pencil 2 included) = ¥6699 (~$1050)
- 8+256GB 5G (Keyboard case and M-Pencil 2 included) = ¥7999 (~$1254)
The tablet will also be available in Europefor €799 but no information about the storage capacity is for this version.