Naija Tech News (NTN) on 15, and in content, One UI 3.0 Beta for Exynos Galaxy S20, S20+ & S20 Ultra, Exynos, Galaxy S20, Galaxy S20 Ultra, One UI, One UI 3.0, One UI 3.0 Beta .
Samsung’s One UI 3.0 beta program is finally rolling out globally to the Exynos variants too. Earlier this month, the Korean Electronics giant released Android 11 beta to the Snapdragon variants, restricted only to the United States and South Kora. Today, the One UI 3.0 firmware update based on Android 11 extends Exynos variants of Galaxy S20 (SM-G980F), S20+, and S20 Ultra. It features a new build number ZTJA.
The OTA was first spotted in Germany, Europe by user u/enij90 and have also captured the OTA update zip. The OTA is currently available for the Galaxy S20 4G variant, Galaxy S20 5G, and S20 Ultra 5G running Exynos processors. However, in order to install the OTA, your device must be on the base firmware BTIJ based on One UI 2.5 stable build. You can checkout the firmware from below.
For those of you who don’t know, One UI 3.0 is the name for the next generation Android 11 firmware for Samsung Galaxy devices. As this is beta, you will need go through some extra steps to receive the One UI 3.0 OTA. The easiest way is to enroll via Samsung Members app. You will see a notice of One UI beta program. Register and go to settings > system update > download updates manually. You may also see a beta section there.
We have also listed the features that came to One UI 3.0 on Snapdragon devices. Here is a screenshot of the complete changelog. You can also see it below.
Features and changelog for One UI 3.0
Since this is a quiet lengthy article, we have added a table of contents for easier navigation.
1st Beta Software Update
Hello! This is One UI Beta Program Operation Team.
We are thankful that you have taken part in One UI Beta Program.
One UI 3 Upgrade (Android 11)
One UI 3 is designed to help you focus on what matters. Our visual redesign has improved the places you visit the most, like the Home screen and quick panel, to reduce distractions, highlight important information, and make your experience more consistent. Performance improvements will help apps run quicker while using less battery power. And One UI 3 puts control in your hands with new privacy controls, one-time permissions, and enhanced Digital Wellbeing.
Experience all these improvements and more in the One UI 3 beta. During the beta program, we appreciate your feedback, which we’ll use to make more improvements.
Scroll down for a full list of changes.
[ Beta Software Update ]
❑ Version – ZTJA
❑ New Features
We’ve refreshed the look and feel of One UI 3 in lots of ways, big and small, from new, more consistent icons to smarter organization of the quick panel and notifications. Motion is smoother and more natural than ever, with improved animations and haptic feedback for common interactions. And the interface responds to different screen sizes to provide the best experience on any device, whether it’s a phone, foldable, or tablet.
We optimized One UI 3 with enhanced dynamic memory allocation, so apps run faster and perform better. We’ve also restricted background activities to provide better performance and power usage.
Home screen and Lock screen
• Add widgets by touching and holding an app icon on the Home screen. • Turn off the screen by double tapping on an empty space on the Home or Lock screen. (Set it up in Settings > Advanced features > Motions and gestures.) • On the Lock screen, tap the clock area to see widgets like calendar, weather, and music. • New image categories have been added to Dynamic Lock screen, and you can select up to 5 categories at once. • Get an interactive preview when setting a wallpaper. • We’ve made it easier to edit the Always On Display and Lock screen.
Calls and chats
• See conversations separately in the notification panel. Works with Messages and your favorite chat apps. • Add a call background to see a picture or video when you make or receive a call.
Pictures and videos
• Take pictures quicker with improved auto focus and auto exposure. • View, edit, and share pictures and videos more easily from Gallery. • Find pictures and videos quicker with new search features and categories in Gallery. • Revert edited pictures to their original versions at any time, even after they’re saved, so you never lose a shot.
• Settings has a new simpler look and feel. Your Samsung account is shown at the top, and Home screen settings are now easier to access. • Find the settings you need more easily with new Search features. You’ll get better results for synonyms and common misspellings, and you can tap on tags to see groups of related settings. • Quick settings buttons have been reduced to provide only the most commonly used features. You can also add buttons to create your own customized quick panel.
• Increased the number of input languages to 370. • Made it easier to paste copied images and verification codes from text messages. • Added emoji and sticker suggestions when you enter a text-based emoticon. • Improved the keyboard layout to provide a larger space bar when entering web and email addresses. • Reorganized Keyboard settings so it’s easier to access frequently used settings.
Maintain a healthy balance between work and life by minimizing repetitive and complicated tasks and handling them efficiently. • Bixby Routines has even more controls to help you automate your life, including a setting to return everything to the way it was before the routine ran. • New routines will be recommended based on your daily life and usage patterns. • New icons and Lock screen widgets make it easier to find and control your routines. • In Internet, you can hide the status and navigation bars for a more immersive experience and quickly translate webpages. • You’ll be prompted to block websites that send too many pop-ups or notifications. • You can browse and select cloud drive files from the file selection screen in My Files. • You can now delete cache files in My Files to easily free up storage space. • Events with the same start time are displayed together in the month and list views in Calendar.
Easy media and device control
Media and device control is easier with the improved media panel in notifications. You can see recently used media apps and quickly change the playback device. You can also quick-launch Android Auto by selecting it from the Connections menu in Settings.
Identify and improve your digital habits
Improved Digital Wellbeing features make it easy to check how you’re using your phone or tablet and help you form good digital habits. Check your usage while driving or see weekly changes in your screen time by function at a glance through upgraded weekly reports. You can also use Digital Wellbeing with separate personal and work profiles.
Accessibility for everyone
One UI 3 recommends useful accessibility features for you based on your usage. The improved Accessibility shortcut makes accessibility features easier to start and use. You can use the Speak keyboard input aloud feature to get voice feedback of your typing even when TalkBack is turned off.
Stronger privacy protection
You can now let an app access to your microphone, camera, or location just one time. Any permissions that an app hasn’t used in a while will be automatically revoked. You can no longer give apps permission to always see your location in the regular permission popup. To let apps access your location when they’re not in use, you need to go to the location permission page for the app in Settings.
• In Clock, you can hear the time and preset name of the alarm read aloud when an alarm rings. • Easily remove duplicate contacts stored in the same account in Contacts. The storage period for deleted contacts has been extended from 15 days to 30 days. • You can view and edit the entire list of linked contacts in the integrated editing screen in Contacts. • Added Trash in Messages so that recently deleted messages are stored for 30 days. • Added Do not disturb for games so that you can focus on playing, as well as other improvements for enhanced performance.
Some apps will need to be updated separately after the One UI 3 update.
Furthermore, according to the leaked One UI 3.0 product page, the update is also expected for other Samsung devices like Galaxy Note 20 series, Galaxy Tab S7 series, and even the Galaxy Z Fold 2. This is a big deal for Galaxy S20 users as it brings several new features to the table. IIt also supports Good Lock 2021 and comes with new modules like Pentastic, Wonderland, One Hand Operation+, and much more.
How to download and install One UI 3.0 for Exynos Galaxy S20 series?
You can go through the official or unofficial methods to get the One UI 3.0 beta. Following we have listed two methods. One is Samsung Members method (official) and the second is OTA download links (unofficial).
1. Register using Samsung Members app
Simply download Samsung Members app from below, launch the app, and register for One UI beta program. You will later receive an OTA. See how to apply for Samsung’s One UI 3.0 (Android 11) beta program.
Get the latest Samsung Members app from below.
The following OTA come directly from Samsung servers. Captured by S20 users and we have listed them here. Checkout the source for more.
- Link for S20Ultra 5G (SM-G988B) – direct link
- Link for S20 4G (SM-G980F) – direct link
- Link for S20 5G (SM-G981B) – direct link
More download links:
- S20 LTE/5G Exynos: BTIJ -> ZTJA | Download link
- S20+ LTE/5G Exynos: BTIJ -> ZTJA (Currently only for 4G) | Download link
- S20 Ultra LTE/5G Exynos: BTIJ ->ZTJA | Download link
- More One UI 3.0 downloads repository (XDA)
Warning: Note that installing the above OTA will require all the next beta 2, 3, 4, etc. OTA for manual installation. You will need to go through the entire procedure for each and every OTA until stable release, probably next month November 2020.
How to update Exynos Samsung Galaxy S20 series to One UI 3.0 Beta using OTA?
- Make sure your device is a Exynos S20 variant.
- Enable OEM Unlock, and USB Debugging from Developer Options on your device. To do so, go to Settings > Developer Options > enable USB Debugging from there.
- Make sure to setup ADB and Fastboot on Windows, Mac OS, Linux or Chrome OS.
1. Stock recovery method
- Make sure your device is running on base firmware BTIJ.
- Download BTIJ to ZTJA OTA update zip from above to phone storage.
- Rename the file to
- Transfer the file to phone storage or SD card, if you haven’t already.
- Reboot your Galaxy phone into Recovery mode. To do so, turn of your phone completely and then press and hold Power + Volume Up buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- From the recovery mode, use the volume buttons to navigate and select the option “apply update from SD card or storage” using the power key.
- Select the update zip file (CSJ1 to ZSK5) from phone storage.
- Hit the power button to select it.
- The upgrade procedure should then start.
- Repeat the same for further OTA update like beta 2, beta 3, and more
update.zip. (if available)
Note: You can also, issue the following command through cmd or terminal to reboot into recovery mode.
adb reboot recovery
2. ADB sideload method
Alternatively: If you don’t see the SD Card option or storage, use the ADB sideload method.
- Reboot device back into the stock recovery mode. Follow the steps from above.
- Connect Galaxy S20 device to PC.
- Transfer the update zip file to PC where you have setup ADB and Fastboot.
- Open a command prompt or terminal window on your PC where the OTA update zip is present. To do so, type cmd in address bar and hit Enter key.
- From your phone’s recovery options, select “Apply updates from ADB”.
- It’s time to flash the OTA by issuing the following command. (Note that you type the exact name with its proper extension.)
adb sideload update.zip
- The upgrade should start.
- Reboot device to system when finished.
Note: While, on Mac OS, you can issue “./adb sideload <filename>.zip” command or on Linux type “sudo adb sideload <filename>.zip” to flash the OTA. Check out the complete tutorial from here.
If anything goes wrong, you can restore you phone to stable One UI 2.5 using the full stock firmware and Odin FlashTool.
If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it on Twitter, Facebook or Whatsapp it to friends. There are buttons below for this (easy to use too)! Join Over 5,000 + Readers. Get a free daily update via Email HERE
YOU MAY LIKE
Note: off comments will be trashed and you will be marked as Spam! use contact us, if it's required.