Samsung Galaxy M42 5G
The Samsung Galaxy M42 5G joins the list of Samsung mid-range offerings, with a design and hardware combo that isn’t far fetched from other Samsung offerings released in the past. What’s more, the Galaxy M42 5G also happens to be the first 5G smartphone in Samsung’s Galaxy M series.
Samsung Galaxy M42 5G Key Specs & Features
- 6.6 inches Super AMOLED Display, 720 x 1600 pixels, (266 PPI)
- Android 11, One UI 3.1
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 750G (8nm)
- 6GB, 8GB RAM
- 128GB Built-in Storage, with SD-Card, Support up to 1TB
- 48MP + 8 MP + 5MP Triple Rear Cameras
- 20MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Scanner (Under-display)
- 5G Network
- Non-Removable 5000 mAh Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
Kick off with the design on the Samsung Galaxy M42 5G, we have got a setup, that bears DNA with previously released Samsung smartphones, honorable mentions to the Samsung Galaxy M62 and the Samsung Galaxy M32.
The rear covering of this device is characterized by different shades of a particular colour. It is sort of the first time Samsung is featuring this type of gradient design on her smartphone.
Cohabiting with the gradient design is a square camera module bearing four cameras, an LED flash, and the Samsung branding, which pretty much indicates it’s a Samsung smartphone, which sums up to a setup similar to what was seen on the Galaxy M62.
The colour options available on this device include Prism Dot Black and Prism Dot Gray. The fact that we have just two colour options pretty much means enthusiasts who do not like any of the colours could be in a state of dilemma.
Moving up front, we find a 6.6 inches Super AMOLED display with a drop notch. The highlights of this display include a resolution of 720 x 1600, which happens to be one of the lowest we have seen on a super AMOLED display. What’s more, we have a density of approximately 266 PPI.
We have a set of cameras on the Samsung Galaxy M62, that passes as a capable. They are sort of par for the course for smartphones in the category.
On the rear, we have a quad camera setup that comprises a 48MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.8, a 5MP depth camera with an aperture of f/2.4, a 5MP macro camera with an aperture of f/2.4, and an 8MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.2 and a 123˚ field of view. Video recording on this camera is capped at 4k @ 30fps.
The front camera setup is made up of a single 20MP camera with an aperture of f/2.2. Video recording on this setup is capped at 1080p @ 30fps.
Hardware and Software
Performance on the Samsung Galaxy M62 is headed by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 750G 5G processor, which identifies as a mid-range processor.
Also on-board the performance train, is the Adreno 619 GPU, a non-removable 5000mAh Li-Po battery paired with 15W charging, which in my opinion is less than substantial for the battery. The RAM and storage options include 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM.
We have got the One UI 3.1 user interface running on the Android 11 operating system on the software side.
The Samsung Galaxy M42 5G features a 3.5mm headphone jack, USB Type-C port, NFC, WiFi, and Bluetooth 5.0.
Being a 5G phone, internet connectivity is capped at 5G, which means enthusiasts can utilize 5G connectivity for downloads, streaming, and uploads.
Samsung Galaxy M42 5G Price and Availability
The Price of the Samsung Galaxy M42 5G starts around $299 for the 6GB /128GB variant, which translates to about 113,919 Naira in Nigeria, 31,918 KSH in Kenya, and 1,726 GHC in Ghana.
The Samsung Galaxy M42 5G was announced on the 28th of April 2021 and released for purchase on the 5th of May 2021.
Samsung Galaxy M42 5G Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy M42 5G:
- Platform: Android 11, One UI 3.1
- Processor: Qualcomm SM7225 Snapdragon 750G 5G (8nm) (2×2.2 GHz Kryo 570 & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 570)
- GPU: Adreno 619
- Memory: 6GB / 8GB
- Colours: Prism Dot Black, Prism Dot Gray
- Dimension: 164.4 x 75.9 x 8.6 mm
- Weight: 190 g
- SIM Type: Nano – SIM
- SIM Count: Dual – SIM
- Display: 6.6 inches Super AMOLED, 720 x 1600 Pixels, ~266 PPI
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48MP (Primary) f/1.8 + 8MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2, 123˚FOV + 5MP (Macro) f/2.4 + 5MP (Depth) f/2.4
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, Panorama, HDR, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
- Front Camera: 20 MP Camera, f/2.2, HDR, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes (up to 1TB)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: SA/NSA
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: –
- HSPA+: –
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: –
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 5000mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: –