Mass Communication Salary in Nigeria (January, 2021)
Mass communication is among the most dynamic fields in Nigeria today. Communication as we used to know it, has drastically changed and evolved into another level. The world now circulates on ready-made information and it easy to see why the mass communication field is still among the most important and relevant career parts today.
The good news is, one rarely runs out of options with a Mass Communication degree. The sad part though, is that the take home for mass communication specialists in this part of the world can be a little discouraging, especially when compared with some other professions.
No doubt, mass communication as a field is a noble, fun and exciting; one of the reasons why the field will never be short of admirers. In fact, Mass Communication commands one of the highest numbers of students in many Nigerian universities today. The field is also very broad as there are a lot of different sectors under it.
For instance, Journalism and mass media are among the core aspects of mass communication. These sections can also be divided into other core segments that are also broad on their own. One thing is almost certain, you rarely get stranded as a mass communication professional and irrespective of the economic situation of the country, they will always be an industry that needs your professional input.
Curious about how much mass communicator professionals earn? You are in the right place. Here, we will take a critical look at how much mass communicators earn in several sectors.
How Much Do Mass Communication Professionals Earn in Nigeria?
Since this is a quiet lengthy article, we have added a table of contents for easier navigation.
Mass communication, as stated earlier, is one of the broadest, flexible and most dynamic profession in the world. It is not limited to journalism or mass media. In fact, there is a lot more to mass communication and it has an impact, directly and indirectly in our daily lives. One reason to be optimistic about this field though, is that the world today wouldn’t be where it is without it. This factor states the importance of mass communication to developing countries.
The amount these professionals are paid though does not necessarily collaborate with their undisputable importance to the society. Although some sectors pay mass communication professionals well, some others still pay not-so-good salaries, especially in the public sector.
Let us take a look at some aspects of mass communication and how much they pay as at 2018.
Journalism & Mass Media
Journalism is one of the most popular segments of mass communications. Over 50 percent of Nigerians that put in for the course aim to go towards this career line and rightly so, it is among the most productive and enviable career paths in that line. Although opportunities in this line are becoming limited of late, largely due to the number of graduates produced every year by Nigerian tertiary institutions, the pay in this field is still not so great compared to some other professions.
Journalists are paid between N30, 000 – N80, 000 for entry level in private sectors and can be increased depending on the company, experience and other factors. Government sectors though pay between N80, 000 – N120, 000 for entry level and increases based on year of experience and level.
Industries & Business
Mass communication professionals also have a place in various industries and businesses where they can function as media consultants, research analysts, information analysts marketing analysts, etc. The salary here is highly relative and depends on lots of factors which include the job position, level of experience, size and type of company and business, education qualification of the candidate among other factors. On the average, industries pay between N50, 000 – N100, 000 for entry level.
Mass communication professionals can also work in the education sector. They work as authors, writers, teachers and so on. The entry level salaries vary based on the kind of job. On the average though, entry level salary ranges between N15, 000 – N70, 000 for private sectors and N70, 000 – N120, 000 for Government sectors. It should be noted that only few private educational institutes pay more than the stated salary.
Media Marketing/Advertising/Public relation Specialist
This is another popular section of mass communication. They work as publicity directors, media managers, social media experts, graphic production specialists, etc. Their salaries are almost the same range as in industries and businesses. They earn between N70, 000 – N100, 000 in private sectors.
Check Salaries of Other Professionals in Nigeria
- Medical Doctors’ Salaries in Nigeria (2021): See What They Earn
- Radiographers’ Salary in Nigeria (2021): See What They Earn
- Civil Engineers’ Salary in Nigeria (2021)
- NNPC Salary Structure: How Much Does NNPC Pay? (2021)
- Geologist Salary in Nigeria (2021)
- KPMG Nigeria Salary: See How Much They Pay
- Web Developers’ Salary in Nigeria (2021)
- Chevron Nigeria Salary: See How Much They Pay in 2020?
- Public Health Salary in Nigeria (2021): Is It Worth It?
- Petroleum Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2021)
- Civil Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2021): Full Details
- Pharmacists Salary in Nigeria (2021): See What They Earn
- Mass Communication Salary in Nigeria (2021)
- How Much Do Models Earn in Nigeria?
- Nurses Salary in Nigeria (2021): How Much Are They paid?
- Anatomists’ Salary in Nigeria in 2020: See What They Earn
- Biomedical Engineers’ Salary in Nigeria (2021)
- Senators’ Salary in Nigeria – (2021) Full Breakdown
- Level 8 Salary in Nigeria (2021): See How Much Is Paid
- Biochemists’ Salary in Nigeria (2021)
- Dentists’ Salary in Nigeria (2021): See What They Earn
- Investment Bankers’ Salary in Nigeria (2021)
- Microbiologists’ Salary in Nigeria (2021)
- Geologists’ Salary in Nigeria (2021)
- Nigerian Pilot Salary: See How Much They Earn (2021)
- Housemanship Salary in Nigeria (2021)
- Mechanical Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2021)
If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it on Twitter, Facebook or Whatsapp it to friends. There are buttons below for this (easy to use too)! Join Over 5,000 + Readers. Get a free daily update via Email HERE