Motorola has just announced the Moto G Stylus 5G, the first budget phone with a stylus that supports 5G connectivity. The new phone sports Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 480 5G chipset that was announced earlier this year for budget 5G devices.
The Moto G Stylus 5G has a different design – sporting a cooker-style camera layout instead of the elongated layout of the 4G model.
The device is built around a 6.8-inch FHD+ Max Vision Display with a hole punch at the top left corner of the screen as the 4G version. While the 4G version has 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, Motorola ships this model with 6GB of RAM and 256GB of storage. There is still support for storage expansion too via a MicroSD card slot (1TB max.).
The phone keeps the 48MP primary camera, 8MP ultrawide angle camera, and 2MP depth camera of the 4G version but replaces the 2MP macro sensor with a 5MP one. The 16MP front-facing camera is unchanged too. Motorola has also brought its spot color photo feature to videos too, so you can record a video and have only one color visible while the others are black and white. There is also Dual Capture that allows you to record from both sides of the phone simultaneously.
Motorola has moved the fingerprint scanner from the side on the 4G variant to the back on the 5G model. It has also bumped the battery capacity from 4000mAh to 5000mAh though it still disappointingly supports 10W charging. Other features are Bluetooth 5.1, FM Radio, an audio jack, and a redesigned stylus that is cylindrical all through which allows it to be inserted into the silo in any way. The phone runs My UX based on Android 11 out of the box and has ThinkShield For Mobile which brings business-grade security.
Motorola is practically the only manufacturer left that still makes budget phones with a stylus. With LG Mobile now dead, it means fans of the LG Stylo series will have to look to Motorola’s phones as their only available option or up their budget and grab a Samsung phone.
Motorola Moto G Stylus 5G Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, 41, 48, 66, 71
- 5G bands: 2, 5, 25, 26, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78 SA/NSA
- Speed HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, June 09
- Status: Exp. release 2021, June 14
- Dimensions: 169.5 x 77.5 x 9.4 mm (6.67 x 3.05 x 0.37 in)
- Weight: 217.5 g (7.69 oz)
- Build: Glass front, plastic frame, plastic back
- Colors: Cosmic Emerald
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Water-repellent design
- Type: LTPS IPS LCD
- Size: 6.8 inches, 111.6 cm2 (~85.0% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~387 ppi density)
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM4350 Snapdragon 480 5G (8 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Kryo 460 & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 460)
- GPU: Adreno 619
- Storage: 256GB 6GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- Main Camera: Quad
- 48 MP, f/1.7, 26mm (wide), 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 118˚ (ultrawide), 1/4.0, 1.12µm
- 5 MP, f/2.2, (macro)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected]/60fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 16 MP, f/2.0, (wide), 1/3.06″, 1.0µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.X, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: No
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 5000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Charging 10W
Models: XT2131, XT2131DL, XT2131-1, XT2131-3, XT2131-4
Motorola Moto G Stylus 5G Price and Availability
The Moto G Stylus 5G is priced at $399 and will go on sale starting June 14. It is $100 more than the 4G Moto G Stylus announced at CES 2021.
The device will be available in Cosmic Emerald on Amazon and on Motorola’s official website.