The Sony Xperia 5 III takes the position previously held by the Sony Xperia 5 II, leaving us with a more capable smartphone, alongside peculiarities we have become accustomed to seeing on Sony smartphones. This article bothers on the specs and price of the Xperia 5 III, to help you make your purchase decision.
Sony Xperia 5 III Key Specs & Features
- 6.1-inch OLED Display, 1080 x 2520 Pixels (~449 PPI), ~81.4% screen-to-body ratio
- Android 11
- 8GB RAM
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 (5nm)
- 128GB / 256GB built-in storage, SD-Card Support
- 12MP + 12MP + 12MP Triple Rear Camera
- 8MP Front Camera
- 4G LTE
- Fingerprint Sensor (Side-Mounted)
- IP65/IP68 Dust/Water-Resistant
- Non-Removable 4500mAh Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The Sony Xperia 5 III design shares cues with predecessors. we have a design system that seems to have flowed through from the standard Sony Xperia 5. Enthusiasts who love the design of its predecessor will feel at home with this rendition.
Enthusiasts who purchase this smartphone will be settling for the 21:9 aspect ratio that sort of making this display tall, especially when accessing its front panel.
Speaking of the front panel, upfront, we have a 6.1-inches AMOLED display, which has its thickest bezels on the top and bottom, which can be seen as a step to making provisions for its dual stereo speakers.
The highlight of this display includes a resolution of 1080 x 2520 Pixels, a density of approximately 449 PPI, and a 120Hz refresh rate.
On the rear, we find a camera module with three cameras. Also on the rear, is the Sony and Xperia branding, as well as an LED Flash.
The colour options on this device are in a trio set. Enthusiats will have the option of choosing black, green, or pink.
On paper, the Camera department on the Sony Xperia 5 III bears the same cameras as seen on its predecessor. It easy really a bad move, as far as the cameras perform well, however, having upgrades would have been highly appreciated. However, usage in real life may show discrepancies.
Having said that, the setup on the rear includes a 12MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.7, a 12MP telephoto camera, and a 12MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.4 and a 124˚ field of view. Video record on this setup is capped at 4k @ 120fps.
Upfront, we have got a single 8MP camera with an aperture of f/2.0. This camera is capable of shooting videos up to 1080p @ 30 FPS.
Hardware and Software
On the performance side, the Sony Xperia 5 III wades off the Snapdragon 865 as seen on its predecessor, and opts for the more recent / powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 processor.
Also on board, is the Adreno 660 GPU, a non-removable 4500mAh battery, which is by 500 mAh bigger than what we saw on its predecessor. This battery is paired with a 30W fast charging mechanism, as opposed to 21W on its predecessor. Lastly the RAM and storage variants available on this device includes 128GB / 8GB and 256GB 8GB.
On the software side, the Sony Xperia 5 III runs its user interface ontop the Andorid 11 operating system.
The Sony Xperia 5 III features a USB Type C Port, a 3.5mm headphone jack, dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, and NFC.
Internet connectivity here is capped at 5G LTE, which means enthusiasts can utilize 5G speeds for streaming, download, and uploads.
Sony Xperia 5 III Price and Availability
The price of the Sony Xperia 5 III was not known as at the time this article was written, however, it is expected around at $1,122, which translates to 460,020 Naira in Nigeria, 102,930 KHS in Kenya and 121,176 GHC in Ghana.
The Sony Xperia 5 III was announced on the 14th of September 2021 and is expected to be available for purchase, later in the second quarter of 2021.
Sony Xperia 5 III Specs
Here are a few specs of the Sony Xperia 5 III:
- Platform: Android 11
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm) (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Black, Green, Pink
- Dimension: 157 x 68 x 8.2 mm
- Weight: 168 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.1-inches OLED, 1080 x 2520 Pixels, ~81.4% screen-to-body ratio, 120Hz Refresh Rate
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12MP (Primary) f/1.7 + 12MP (Telephoto) f/2.3, f/2.8 + 12MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2, 124˚ FOV
- Rear Camera Features: Cinematography Pro “powered by CineAlta,” 4K HDR Movie recording 24, 25, 30, 60 and 120 fps slow-motion, OIS and EIS Video, Optical SteadyShot with FlawlessEye, SteadyShot with Intelligent Active Mode (5-axis stabilization), Intelligent wind filter
- Front Camera: 8 MP Camera, f/2.0, [email protected], 5-axis gyro-EIS
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes, microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 48, 66, 71 – USA – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 66 – Europe – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 66 – Asia
- 5G: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 – USA – 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 – Europe – 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA/Sub6 – Asia
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, aptX HD, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB Type-C 3.1; USB On-The-Go, video output
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: –
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: Yes
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes (IP68)
- Dust Resistant: Yes (IP65)
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 4500mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 30W Capacity.