If you have forgotten the password for your local Windows 10 account and that is also your administrator account, resetting the password becomes a difficult task. In such scenarios, you need to use a live USB stick and access the computer from outside the system. In this way, you can easily modify the system files and get into the PC without much trouble. To keep things simple for you, we’ve put together a detailed guide on how to reset your Windows 10 administrator password. So, without delay, let’s jump to the steps right away.
Reset administrator password in Windows 10.
Before starting this tutorial, let me clarify that none of your files or programs will be affected during this process. You can reset Windows 10 administrator password without losing your precious files. So with that out of the way, let’s move on to the instructions.
- First, you need to create a Windows 10 USBmedia installation. You can use Rufus or Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool to create a Windows bootable USB.
- Next, plug a USB stick into the computer and restart your PC. As your PC starts up, start pressing the boot keycontinuously.
Note : On HP notebook computers, pressing the “Esc” key during startup brings up the Start menu. For other laptops and desktops, you will need to search the internet for the startup key. It should be one of these: F12, F9, F10, etc.
- Now, select the USB driveon which you updated Windows 10 and hit Enter to start the administrator password reset process.
- Once you are on the Windows 10 installer page, press ” Shift + F10” to open the command prompt.
- In the command prompt window, type diskpartand press Enter. Then type list volumeand hit Enter. From the list of volumes, identify your C driveand write down everything that is mentioned in “Ltr.” This will be your partition name. For example, mine is D.
- Now type exitand hit Enter to exit Diskpart.
- After that, enter the partition name like this: d:and press Enter. This will move it to the C driveof your computer. Please note that the partition name may be different for your computer.
- After that, enter these commands one by one to move to the “ System32” Folder under the C drive of your computer.
cd windowscd system32
- Once you are here, enter the following commands one by one. This will rename utilman.exeforcmd.exe. By the way, utilman.exe is responsible for handling the accessibility features on the lock screen and will allow us to reset the administrator password on your Windows 10 PC.
rename utilman.exe utilman1.exerename cmd.exe utilman.exe
- Now, close the command prompt window, cancel the Windows 10 installation process, unplug the USB flash drive and restart your PC. Normally, it will start on the lock screen. Here, click on the ” Accessibility” icon in the lower right corner.
- A command prompt window will open. Here, type the following commandand hit Enter. It will allow you to reset Windows 10 administrator password with ease.
- Now, a new password recovery window will appear. Here, click on the “Reset Password” button.
- Set a new passwordand click the “OK” button. You have successfully reset the administrator password on your Windows 10 PC.
- Now, log into your account with the new administrator passwordfrom the lock screen. And voila, you can log into your Windows 10 PC without any hassle.
Forgot Windows 10 administrator password? Reset admin password
This is how you can easily reset Windows 10 administrator password without deleting any of your files or programs. You don’t even have to reinstall Windows 10 to access other partitions. Just follow our tutorial and it will work like a charm. Anyway, that’s it. If you want to convert MBR to GPT disk without data loss on Windows 10, please follow our detailed tutorial linked here. And if you have any questions about this guide, please comment below.